Thursday, June 2, 2011

Three Lefts

The world is powered by passionate people, powerful ideas, and fearless action. What’s one strong belief you possess that isn’t shared by your closest friends or family? What inspires this belief, and what have you done to actively live it?

There's a funny (or not so funny) joke that goes "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!"

I'm not sure what that has to do with this post. Other than, I always strive to be right, except when I lean left. The first in terms of correctness, the second in terms of politics.

My family is Republican. Luckily, they aren't the scary, gun-wielding, Palin-loving, crazy-as-shit Republicans, but, none-the-less, in the last election, I think all three of them voted for McCain. I could be wrong (and I hope I am).

I couldn't vote in the last election (I wasn't yet 18, shy by just about 6 weeks) but I did already have strong political tendencies, thanks to a ferociously awesome AP Gov teacher my senior year of HS.

One of the things that I am always strongly involved in now, in my own way, is gay rights. First of all, I don't even know why this is an issue to begin with. Since when are gay people not people? Since when do citizens of the United States not get all guaranteed rights simply due to sexual preference? Since when was discrimination the norm? (Okay, so maybe discrimination was the norm 50 years ago, but today? In the 21st century?).

Anyways, if it isn't clear, I am very, very, VERY pro-gay rights. I will debate to NO end about gay marriage, repealing DADT, and anything else that involves the LGBT Community and their rights. When I'm not reading up on articles and yelling at stupid people (generally on the internet), I also love getting active around campus. This means going to protests on campus, helping fund the protests (hey, I love bake sales as much as the next person!) and being a somewhat active member of the Rainbow Alliance group on campus.

I've lost "friends" over my beliefs. If you're going to discriminate and hate, I'm gonna discriminate and hate right back atcha. You wanna strip away other peoples rights, or deny them? Then I'm gonna deny you a friendship, or any respect.

My first friend (and one of my best friends) that I ever made in college is gay. I think part of what spurred me into action was realizing how much I love him, and how much it hurts to know that we aren't equals in the eyes of the law when it comes to certain things. It's for him, and for everyone else that I know and don't know, that I fought and will continue to fight for.

And if you disagree with me, the door's waiting for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment